The Third Name

Horses usually have two names.

They have their show name, which is long and hard to yell when they're misbehaving but sounds great over a loudspeaker.

Majestic.
Then they have a barn name, which is the one you scream at the gate when you don't to walk into the back 40 to catch them.



However I've found most of my horses have a third name. It's not on the stall plate, but it's the one I end up using the most. It's a term of endearment, it's the name I use to comfort and pump him up, to give him encouragement. It's the one he pricks his ears for because a treat might be incoming.

I don't think you pick the third name. It just comes out of your mouth without you realizing it, and you (the horse's 'mom') are the only one who uses it.

Not Indy!!


Nash. It was weird riding like a little tiny horse.
I couldn't dismount like a normal person.
I dismounted like a gymnast finishing a roundoff.

Nash discovers All Ears App.

Runkle's third name (although I guess in his case, it was only his second) was Monkey. I think it was a play on Runkey and it definitely fit him. He was silly, mischievious and wild.

Indy's third name appears to be Bug.

I don't know when it happened, but over the past week or so I've noticed it cross my lips more and more. It's easy to say with a pat on the neck when he finally figures out lateral work. It catches his attention in the field and under saddle because he knows it's not just his, but maybe understands that it's ours. Or I could be anthropomorphizing him.

Not showing the appropriate level of excitement for purple.

He's the biggest horse I've ever ridden, but he's my little Bug.

Comments

  1. Bug is my other name for Sadie, too. Sadiebug shortened. She is also a massive elephant, nothing like a bug lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh this is so true! For all pets. Dino's third name is "Buddy". Because... he's my buddy. It just comes out. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?? and you're like... thats not cool why did i pick that and you realize you have no choice.

      like i had a really old horse i rode whose third name was 'kiddo'. not a kid.

      Delete
  3. I've found only the special ones end up with a third name... well, the bad ones do too, but it doesn't have the same meaning ;)
    My old horse Cosmo was Moo-moo. Sadly that earned me the name Mama Moo-moo, which I do in fact have embroidered on a baby pad thanks to my Skidmore peeps...
    Rio has quite a few names, but his favorite is Handsome Cookie. His two favorite words in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My animals all have about 50 names 😂 and none of them make any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Popular dog third names include Bug, Rug, Mug, Bubelsnoot and anything I can end in "licious" and "tron". The mares are mostly "Moose" these days. Everyone at my house seems to be sharing third names recently, so I am sure they're all not sure who they are or why their mom is insane.

      Delete
  5. Ozzy's is Fraggle-face and JR's is Fat!Pony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw i had a kitten named "bug" (her actual name was cricket lol). charlie's 3rd name is "sir." it suits, if i do say so myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My animals always end up with ridiculous names as demonstrated by Stinker. My old dog was named Forrest but was mostly called chunky monkey or chunkers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol my horses third name is usually not a good one

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call Nilla mule or muley or mule-mule. Which is terrible uninventive, but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah it's definitely a thing. :-) Love when you figure out what that name is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are definitely 3 names. Carmen's is 'princess' or 'baby'. Irish is 'pumpkin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww that's a cute one! Forever Gallant is P's show name (& hic JC name), Pilgrim is his actual barn name, but I usually call him P or some variation of it: Pony P, Baby P, Mr. P, etc. I have more nicknames for my horse than I do for my husband and kids. Horse people are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love third names!!!!! My guy Chimi (show name Chimi Chonga) has multiple 3rd names and he also has his own hashtag (shall we call it his 4th name?) I call him Chimster, Chiminey, Chim Chim, and other various sound names. But my favorite is his hashtag name which is #The Flying Burrito #✈️ 🌯 … I don't call him that I just refer to him as The Flying Burrito:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remus other name is Weemus (Thanks Amanda the900facebookpony, it stuck) Seriously we all use it (Though Remus is his barn name and show name as I could not be bothered to come up with a show name when people already KNEW Remus (he has a fan club) LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts