Clinic Report: Sally Cousins 12/3/17

I've ridden with Sally many times at this point, but this lesson felt different.

She's never met Indy before, so to start we discussed who he was, where he was from, and what we had been doing so far while Sally ate her lunch. My regular trainer came to watch, and offered her input as well as running around making jumps for us.



We did a few fairly simple exercises; mostly using bending lines to keep him guessing. Indy was on his best behavior. I'm not sure what's been up with him lately but he's been jumping far more normally recently. Instead of me flopping around on his back with no idea when he takes off, I've actually been on the same page as him and we tend to make the jump together.

Sally really loved him. Unsurprising, as he's quite her type: a big, strong, athletic, rangy Thoroughbred.

such talent. much jump. so twist.

I've outlined a few takeaways below.
  • The time for jumping little baby jumps is over. I can no longer be a crossrail queen. I'm sad about this.
  • I cannot ever - EVER - lean at the jump. You're never supposed to lean at the jump, but it's been getting me in trouble. I lean, I lose the spot, and then Indy takes off with almost no help or input from me.
  • I can't ride this horse with just my leg and hands. Sally stressed several times I'll need my whole body, including demonstrating the freakin' 4 inches of back muscle that pop out of her back when she has to ride her giant string of mammoth horses. She kept reminding me throughout the lesson to use my core.
  • She also iterated that I can't ride like a little girl anymore (my words, not hers). I need to sit and ride and own the shit out of this horse. I can't perch in a half seat and equitate my way around a course.
  • I need to channel my inner German man. Those actually were her words, and she shouted it at me as I came to a jump and I flung my brain around like a net until something in me said BE MICHAEL JUNG. Michael Jung doesn't flop around like an overcooked noodle when he's tired!! Michael Jung doesn't ride like a baked potato! But really I need to name my inner riding German. Gunther? Taking suggestions.

The biggest thing she stressed was I am currently in a window of opportunity. Right now, Indy is still working on learning and getting stronger. I need to teach and mold this horse into what I want now before he gets too strong and opinionated. It's imperative we fight all the little battles that I can stamp out now before they become huge wars that I'll never win.



Overall I came out of the lesson feeling very tired and sore but exhilarated and excited. Her last bit of advice was that this was my chance to chase my dreams, and I shouldn't sit around on my laurels.

I certainly won't.


Comments

  1. Dude I totally need an inner German, too. That's the best.

    Also Indy looks like a magikal unicorn in all of these pictures and I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know i love him so much. hes so different from runkle but still so special.

      Delete
    2. I feel like it's rough on your insides when you start thinking about a horse in comparison to one you've lost... hoping that it doesn't hurt too much. Indy is definitely a gem :)

      Delete
    3. ive found i cant help it, and while it hurt so much in the beginning the more time passes the more im able to think of them both and their differences with gratefulness

      Delete
  2. I want her back muscles. My back muscles are the weakest point and I have the hardest time trying to strengthen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe we should go in on some steroids????

      just a casual idea :P

      Delete
  3. Such a cool feeling when trainers see what you see too. :-) Get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was one of my favorite days with indy so far :)

      Delete
  5. i love her so much i am so glad you enjoy riding with her too. And some of the things she comes out with cracks me up. I am riding with her again this Sunday and can't wait. Tho my back muscles need a lot of help and are no where near strong enough. And she keeps laughing at me about the jump sizes she wants to raise them and raise them. But i still love her and pay her for the abuse :) HA! Glad you have fun and Indy looks like he is going to be a star. :) PS LOL at that twist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hes gotten better at the twisting. in the beginning it was 5x more terrifying because he's so big when he twisted I'd have to dodge the standards.

      Delete
  6. Indy looks SO good. It sounds like you had a great lesson minus that bad news about no more baby jumps lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting is it knowing you're sitting on something so special, and having that validated by someone like that? Sounds like a lot of hard work and muscle building in your future (for you AND Indy) but it's going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved to audit this one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts