Hitting The Road

For decades I've missed shows, gotten stuck at bad farms and been beholden to those around me because I didn't have a trailer. I could never justify (or frankly, afford) to get a rig together. But as soon as I bought Runkle I started saving and scraping to make it work, so one day I would be free to go cross country schooling when I wanted, or take him to the clinic when he needed to go, or go to a horse show without having to stay all day.

It helps to have friends pick you up!

Last year began the process, when a fellow rider at my barn was getting out of horses and selling her beautiful 2+1 at bargain basement price because it needed (a lot) of work. It was already at Frank DiBella's, which, if you live in the PA/NJ area you know that's one of the best places you can take your trailer to have work done. I remember sitting on the grass next to a lot full of trailers looking at this dirty, rusted one, and daydreaming about the future.


A month later my sparkling clean, beautifully repaired trailer came home, where it promptly sat for a year.

It made sense to make a move on the trailer even though I didn't have a truck to haul it. It was a good deal and it could always sit. But seeing it covered in snow and waiting, filled with my extra blankets and tack like a very beautiful, expensive second tack trunk, always hurt a little bit.

Until I finally found Ruby the Truck.

Picking her up!!


She's gettin some stickers...

I've only ever driven little tiny cars, but I freakin love this truck. And once I went through the arduous process of getting license plates and inspections up to date all that was left was to hook them up.

Truck vs daily driver.

This weekend my dream finally came true, and I took myself cross country schooling. I never want to be without my own wheels again!!


As I embark on this newest journey of planning as many weekend escapades as possible, I need your help!!! What are you absolute must trailer essentials? So far, my trainer has suggested:
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Road flares
  • Trailer Aid
My mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said bolt cutters. She didn't even flinch. I guess it was weirder last year when I asked for buckets.

What are your safety must haves in your horse trailer?

Comments

  1. I love this topic!

    Giant zip ties (after a cop once used zip tie handcuffs to fix my trailer)
    A headlamp
    Duct tape
    A telescoping or power lug nut wrench

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the zip ties are a solid idea, but not as solid as THE POWER LUG NUT WRENCH

      Delete
  2. First aid supplies for horses/humans are something I finally got around to putting together this summer (after having my trailer for 7 years, haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah yeah trainer suggested that too. and also a selection of sedative for emergencies... :P

      Delete
  3. So excited for you!!! Having a rig is the best. I made a post about this early last year if you want to check it out. I totally recommend a hydraulic jack. The trailer aid things are good but if you have multiple flats not so useful.
    First aid is a must for horse and humans, extra halters and lead ropes have never failed me - never know when a horse will break one, tow straps in the truck, so many things. It’s a process but you’ll be loaded in no time!

    http://www.equestrianathart.com/2016/01/trailering-essentials/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OO thanks for the link!! it was pre me following you :D

      Delete
  4. US Rider! AAA won’t help you if you have a trailer (ask me how I know… grrr) If you’re staying fairly local you can probably get away with calling friends but if you think you’re going to do a lot of long distance driving… something to consider depending on your goals :)

    Also have 2 spare tires. With trailers there’s the very real possibility that a blowout from one tire will take out the other one (my mom found this out the hard way) and so we now have 2 spare trailer tires. It’s easy enough to put a mount in your tack room :)

    Loving your new setup!!!! Have so much fun with the freedom!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo US Rider is a good one! They've definitely helped my trainer out of many a stick situation.

      Delete
  5. Yay!!! Love the 2+1 configuration. Duct tape and zip ties, tool set, cones, Trailer-Aid...all the stuff people already mentioned. And make sure you know where the stuff you need to change a tire is for both the truck and the trailer. If you don't know where the right tools are, changing a simple tire will take over an hour...ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah yeah... luckily im the only one who's gonna be using it so hopefully stuff wont go casually missing

      Delete
  6. your rig is #goals

    as far as stuff to outfit it up and make it even *more* baller, in addition to what folks have added above, we keep a couple water containers on hand, and spares of all things horses (leads, halters, stud chain, extra tack pieces), a muck bucket + cart + pitchfork, some hand tools, a little extra feed for recalcitrant loaders, a cooler or two just in case, extra buckets for the road (for water / feed / sponging off), poultice and wrapping materials, a portable mounting block... gosh there's probably more too but that's what i got for now. fwiw, i used birthday money for my muck bucket cart too and yes my family thinks i'm crazy but idc ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh the mounting block... i definitely need one of those. I used the wheel well to mount and indy was... unsure. at best. And it was still a bit of a literal leap.

      Delete
    2. And the mounting block can be used as a step into your tack room so you can avoid injury à la Emma :)

      Delete
  7. A spare halter and lead rope in your truck can be a life saver in case of an accident where you can't get into your tack room. I have a couple stuffed behind my back seat. Thankfully I've never had to use them.

    And trailer ties that will let go in case of emergency. Nothing is worse than having a back door fail and your horse getting drug because nothing let go (ask me how I know). Also, I have a corner water container and it's the very best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahooo you go grab life by the horns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. so I will be in Philly area around Christmastime. would love to meet up. Email: Lnwillia at gmail dot com

      Delete
  9. That truck is so badass!
    Ratchet straps
    Scissors
    Emergency contact info and a map incase your phone dies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having your own trailer is the best. We bought a small tool chest from home depot that we use as a combination grooming box and mounting block. I highly recommend getting things that can serve multiple purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the freedom! I bought both a truck and trailer this year and agree with you, I never wanna go back to not having my own! The freedom is amazingggg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got plenty of good suggestions up here already, so I'm just gonna second the US Rider membership (seriously, they're fantastic even if you're not hauling!) and congratulate you on your new found freedom!
    I'm thinking hard about trading my two horse in for a 2+1 or something similar this winter. Not sure I want so much trailer behind me though? I'm not the greatest at backing up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am a hauling n00b and i managed to back it up into a relatively tiny spot.

      i believe in you!!

      Delete
  13. My barn mate has a 2 plus 1 we use often to carry the three boys to FH etc. I wouldnt want that big a trailer (Or truck) but it is nice to fit all in (My trailer has NO storage at all). Congrats on the total package, I do love being able to just go without getting permission from anyone. SEE YOU at EVENTS THIS UPCOMING YEAR, I HOPE :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah ive never driven a trailer before so i don't have any frame of reference for this being easy or hard. so that's nice!

      and YES. hopefully i will be out and about A LOT!!

      Delete
  14. Oooh I have plenty of first hand advice here. The biggies? Halters/leads in the truck. A big ass knife, also in the truck. And tow straps. Tow straps have many uses, including hauling your horse out of your fucked trailer after he's gone into shock... also for towing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Austen, you are the queen who i will ask always for advice about trailering (I forget that is when i started following you way back when before i was blogging when Pig had his accident. Shudders. And i love your way with words :) We should live closer to each other LOL!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts