The Media-Less Cross Country School

Disclaimer: It was just me and my trainer, so I have no pictures. I know, it's a tragedy. But that's what happens when you school at the ass crack of dawn on a Saturday; no one exactly is leaping out of their seats to take videos of you jumping 18" logs.

I finally got Indy off the property to cross country school. Our sweet new ride merits it's own post, as it's been a year (omg) in the making. Luckily I did buy an obscenely huge trailer, because I now have an obscenely huge horse. Indy loaded right on by himself after giving the ramp a quick test.

It's hard to picture and 2ptober at the same time.

Once we got to Flora Lea he was busy 'absorving' (observing and absorbing). He put his head straight up in the air and looked around. That in itself isn't naughty behavior but he is way too tall to put his head up that high. I couldn't even flip the reins over his ears.

The worst he ever did was start suddenly at the dressage letters and the back of the prelim warm up table, and besides that he was calm and actually listening. No moonwalking, no bolting, no heart pounding against my legs. He just went and did it. I'll admit I teared up, but my smile was ear to ear.


farmsitting gig - ponies and puppies. And fog.

I don't think he ever got the memo that he's huge because he gives even the tiniest of logs plenty of respect. He was obedient about everything I pointed him at. The only thing he stopped at was Flora Lea's tiniest bank, which may have been the first time he saw a bank. After stopping and inspecting he proceeded to carefully walk up.

It warmed my heart to feel him start to enjoy himself. Indy is so workmanlike about the dressage but he lets go a little bit when we jump. He enjoys himself and romps afterwards. It's terrifying when a nearly 18hh horse romps after the jump but sometimes you need to put your big girl panties on.

Indy got his OWN beautiful new bridle.

After navigating all of the little logs in the area we tackled the water. That turned into twenty hard minutes of sweat (from both me and the horse), mints, coaxing, cajoling, and my trainer getting very wet feet (thanks Laur!). He had no idea what we were asking him and seemed legitimately afraid. I think he very desperately wanted my trainer to just carry him across.

We finally did get him in the water. He walked in, stood with all four legs splayed, shaking, blowing hard through his nose. Lots of treats and pats later he realized he could very carefully walk around. Then he started pawing and splashing, even drinking. After that he didn't even flinch. We trotted through the water and put together a miniscule course and he was perfect.

We called it a day there, and Indy walked back to the trailer with his head straight up in the air and an unmistakable strut in his step. And his tongue hanging out like a Labrador on a hot day. I swear, I'm just going to cut it off.

Have a shitty video still.
It was an amazing start and I can't wait to take him out again!!

Comments

  1. Awwww, what a good boy! So much learning going on for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for successful first outings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool!! What a positive first outing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you! He sounds like a great find. So nice that everything went well, even the things that frightened him initially. What a big, brave boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw good boy INDY! I'm so excited for you guys and your awesome rig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading about these first outings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL LOL I am giggling at how you mention the tongue :) Poor Indy glad he learner water does not eat huge horses (Or small ones). Sounds like a good time!! Congrats. PS I want that barn you are farmsitting thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how much personality he has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good boy! Also impressed with your 2ptober selfie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts