Enter: The Cowboy

Most people that train problem horses do only that: train problem horses. What I wanted was someone who trained riders who rode problem horses. I didn't want to send Spicy away to be 'fixed'. I had an inkling that I was a large part of his underlying issues, and while he'd be 'fixed', as soon as he came back I'd revert him to our old habits. I'm fortunate though, because there is a man in our area who trains people, not horses. His philosophy is he helps way more horses by training their people than just training horses.


Before our first lesson I was tacking Spicy up in the cross ties. I was dreading getting on him for some kind of evaluation, as our last five rides had resulted in manic cantering in a tiny circle while hyperventilating. It was not fun or enjoyable. The Cowboy arrived and watched me tack up while he had a cigarette. Spicy did his normal pre-tack routine: dancing in the cross ties, gnashing teeth at the girth, fidgiting. I hesitated before I put the bridle on.

"I wouldn't want to ride that," The Cowboy drawled.

"Funny you say that, because I don't, really." My relief must've been palpable.

So instead of swinging a leg over, we started on the ground.

When I work with a horse, I go get them from the field, groom and tack up, take them to the ring, mount and then begin work.

In reality, the work should begin the second I clip the halter on.

I know these things, academically. But having The Cowboy there kept me accountable. It was very similar to the work I had been coaching myself through from the Richard Maxwell books, but with 100% adherence instead of only 'when I remembered'. He brought things to my attention that I could only get from eyes on the ground: tension in my shoulders and poor discipline in my hands.


It was helpful to watch The Cowboy handle Spicy in particular. I saw how his reactions (or, non-reactions) to Spicy's anxiety really took the wind out of him. I had been on the fence about what to do next about Spicy's behavior. He was treated for ulcers, had regular body work and a saddle that fit. The low hanging fruit had been hit. We were at a juncture where I either needed to pursue more serious diagnostics or accept that maybe the dissonance was a communication issue. In one session I realized I had made the right decision.

Although, perhaps more than having a communication issue, I was having a self control issue.

I don't live in a vacuum. I go to the barn after I've been at work all day. I have a million things running through my head. Rush hour traffic, impending meetings, chores, homework, family.

"You need to leave all that outside the barn," The Cowboy cautioned. "He's sensitive, he can feel it."

I think about all the times I come to the barn frustrated or upset and I want the horse to 'fix' it. If I'm sad, I want him to make me feel happy. If I'm scared, I want him to make me feel safe. If I'm angry, I want him to be patient and not take it personally.

How unfair I've been.

My lessons with The Cowboy and Spicy have turned into hour long meditation sessions. As time wore on, I wanted to get more from my lessons so I started meditating and practicing mindfulness before my lesson. Now every day, on my drive to the barn, I have 30-45 minutes of uninterrupted meditation. The more I practice, the more I can find That Place, the calm strong energy where I can ride my horse.

You can see it in the best riders in the world. I think particularly of Michael Jung, who looks almost vacant on the horse. Even when he gets in a sticky combination in a giant five star his face never betrays any concern. I imagine it's why his horses are so relaxed.

As much as I'm doing this for Spicy, I've been the main benefactor in all this. All this practice in mindfulness means it's that much easier for me to reach any time I need it. I've been struggling with PTSD while driving since our accident, but finding this mindfulness has all but erased my driving anxiety. I'm more organized and productive at work, and less reactive in stressful situations.

Spicy is flourishing under this 'new me'. He has become extremely reliable. As his anxiety ebbs, a cheeky and playful personality has emerged. I have a bunch of tools now to redirect his spookiness and control his thought by controlling mine. I no longer use him as an emotional dumping ground for my stress. By the time I get to the barn, I'm already calm and happy and I use that time to be outside and enjoy him and myself.


Comments

  1. Love this approach. And how fantastic to find a cowboy that trains the rider too! You and Spicy are meant to be, I'm sure of it, and I really have an appreciation for how you're working so hard to be successful together. (And I don't mean in the show ring, I just mean your relationship.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were more horse trainers that wanted to teach people!! I'm very lucky to have him.

      If we're ever going to be successful in the show ring it will have to have started here anyway :P thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. This is so very important. It is tough with the very sensitive souls - you can't really throw all your life problems at them, because they don't process it or understand it in the way we intend them to. Horses are therapists for the soul - I often say they help us forget the existence of our problems and our troubles melt away when we are with them. It sounds like you are finding that in your own way which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first part of what you said is really true. Actually, there's a study showing that horses are emotional sponges which really means if we come at them with a lot of emotional baggage they're going to pick allll that up.

      Delete
  3. Love this story - thanks for sharing! And, I need me a Cowboy like that for some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ask around - I found him by word of mouth! and thank you for ready :)

      Delete
  4. Mindfullness is such an interesting concept - I first became aware of the practices when I got my job in 2011 and it was part of our incentivized wellness plans. I honestly think more people should try it out, its so beneficial in so many ways.

    I'm glad that you've found something that has helped not only your relationship with Spicy but with anything else that might come your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if only everyone practiced mindfulness. I like that your work incentivized it. It seems like such a waste of time and so annoying to start. No one wants to take a few minutes to just BE. But it's definitely been worth it!!

      Delete
    2. They give us around $1k a year to get healthier is many different ways and it works out for them 2-fold. 1) it's a Univeristy with a Hospital/Medical Program so they get to mine all their employee data (and also a giant super computer so heyyyy) and 2) When your employees are healthier and you have data to back it up you can negotiate better employee insurance rates with the health insurance companies.

      Delete
  5. I love this so much! Can you share your mindfulness techniques, pleeeeze???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm so what works for me is putting on music (without words) and concentrating on 'noticing' things. Since I do it a lot while driving I think about everything from what the cars around me look like, to the road, to how the steering wheel feels in my hands.

      Once I'm working with Spicy I think about how the lead rope feels or the sound of him moving.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. if only i were oprah, then i'd be giving away cowboys with this post!!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like the perfect match to help both of you. Old time Cowboys are a fading breed but they are so invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it makes me want to become one!!

      except I will literally never be as cool, calm and collected as him :'(

      Delete
  8. I love this so much. I can relate so much as well. It's amazing the difference that we make by targeting ourselves. The other thing that I'm doing that is really helpful is listening to some mindfulness podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS. and you. And spicy! I also find that when I take the time to pray before a ride to ask God to help me be the partner my horse needs that day, my rides are almost always calmer, softer, and more enjoyable for both of us. Being able to get in that soft, listening, focused head space is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a refreshing approach! I have to remind myself of the same things- that it's unfair to expect the horse to fix your emotions. Love that it's working so well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cool you found someone to help both you and Spicy and it is working! YAY!! ugh i need a switch to turn my brain off (THANK GOD MY HORSE IS NOT SENSITIVE RIGHT?) HAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Listen...

    What I'm going to tell you may sound a little creepy, maybe even a little "supernatural"

    BUT what if you could just press "Play" and LISTEN to a short, "miracle tone"...

    And miraculously attract MORE MONEY into your LIFE???

    I'm talking about thousands... even MILLIONS of DOLLARS!!

    Sounds way too EASY??? Think it couldn't possibly be REAL??

    Well then, I'll be the one to tell you the news..

    Usually the most significant miracles in life are the easiest to GET!!

    In fact, I'm going to PROVE it to you by letting you listen to a REAL "miracle abundance tone" I've produced...

    And TOTALLY FOR FREE

    You just hit "Play" and the money will start coming into your life... starting pretty much right away...

    TAP here NOW to PLAY this marvelous "Miracle Wealth Building TONE" as my gift to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts