That Blog Hop Everyone Doing - 2020 Summary Edition

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; COVID Edition
Thanks to Alberta Equest for this one - I was really struggling with how the heck to address this year without cry-laughing into a glass of wine. This helps. I know I'm a bit late but what, it's still January and frankly it still feels like The Great Dumpster Fire of 2020 so I think it's still on topic.
 

What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020?

Personal: This is kind of nebulous to describe, but I'll do the best I can. The best thing that happened to me this year was being present, and focused. Or maybe the best thing was seeing how much more present and focused I was and how much happier and less chaotic I made my life. Bettering my own mental health has been a multi-year journey and 2020 was the first year that really felt centered.
Horses: The best thing that happened for me and horses was time. It's funny to see the pandemic touted as a waste of time, or that the year was lost. I feel like I got a year. Everything was closed, all my vacations were cancelled, I'm still working from home. The only thing I had left was the horse and I leaned into it. 2020 was the year I started taking lessons with The Cowboy. I took Spicy to the police clinic. Both Spicy and I worked on trailering. I learned how to trim feet. His ulcers were finally under control. Our saddle was finally dialed in. I started riding in the morning which freed up even more time. I didn't waste the time 2020 gave me, I took it.


What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020?

Just Personal (the horses had no bad, and nothing compares anyway): The worst thing was June. Just the whole month of June. I have never felt so sick for our country. That feeling went from sick to fear. There were nights we didn't sleep because who can fall asleep to the sound of their city being ripped in two? I couldn't even go to the barn for awhile because every time I tried to leave roads were closed and I kept getting stuck on the wrong side of the river. I got a Twitter account purely to keep up with road closures and police activity. We spent afternoons with our neighbors boarding up windows.

And while all those things were horrible, it doesn't even come close to the part that hurts the most: the inequality is obvious to me but so many don't see it, and don't believe it. I wish people could think of and care for their fellow (wo)man, without worrying about themselves, knowing that they, in turn, will be thought of and cared for as well. 
 


What was your biggest purchase in 2020?

Personal:  The real boring answer to this Douglas the Truck had to get new tires and a new rear differential which was $$$$.

The fun answer is:
I bought both of these things in 2020

Horses: I got an Equicore System. If I have to do strength training, so does Spicy :P It turned out to be a good purchase because I've ended up using it consistently all year and it totally transformed his lumbar area and helped with straightness behind. If you're worried about your horse being spooky over it, I can attest they'll probably be fine. My spooky idiot was ambivalent even though I've definitely snapped his ass/barrel with the rubber bands (more than once...)
 

What was your biggest accomplishment in 2020?

Personal: I finished my masters this year! I tried to find the picture of me holding my ABSURDLY HUGE diploma but I couldn't find it. It's like a movie poster. In Latin.
Horses: Hands down, taking Spicy to the mounted police clinic. It might be the most proud I've ever been in horses.

Will never not use this gif

What do you feel COVID robbed you of in 2020?

Personal: My family. We usually visit family quite a bit, including my in-laws throwing the most incredible theme parties. I was particularly excited for this year's Halloween party, in which the theme was Skeleton Rodeo. I was going to teach myself how to lasso and rope myself some nieces and nephews. Add onto that missing Thanksgiving with  my family for the first time in my life and this whole fall has just felt like a downer.
Horses: To be honest, I don't feel like COVID robbed me of much horse-wise. I had really grand plans to do Camp Leaping Horn, but we wouldn't have been ready for that anyway. A year with no expectations probably did us good!


Were you subject to any impulse buys in 2020?

Personal: Uhhh... did you not see that I bought purple polo boots and a Tiger King-esque purple leather jacket? If that doesn't say 'impulse purchase' I dunno what does. I also like the way this question is phrased. 'Subject to' ... as if the purchase jumped into my hands against my will.
Horses: I accidentally got Spicy kitted out to go to a pride parade in 2021.
 
Rainbow bridle and browband? Yes plz.
 

Unexpected silver linings in 2020?

Personal: The pandemic allowed me to find new things this year. I started backpacking, I learned how to sew. I found out I actually really enjoy working from home. Being at home has allowed me to spend more time with my furry family, focus on eating better and I've discovered the ABSOLUTE JOY that is the standing desk.
Horses: I spent more time with Spicy this year than any other we've been together. He's been a goal to focus on and a harbor of normalcy. I'm grateful to him and the barn for being the same no matter what. The absolute best part of this year was that for the first time in a very long time, horses actually started to feel like a happy escape for me again. 







Comments

  1. "I feel like I got a year." I love that. I feel the same way, never been more thankful for my barn and horse, too.

    LOVE THE BOOTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same quote as Lyss notes above really resonated with me. Thank goodness for horses and taking the time given to be present with oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. After a rocky start, I had a similarly productive and insightful year...

    2020. Once in a lifetime opportunity for a cultural paradigm shift. Also undeniable proof of how selfish + greedy + hateful so many of our fellow citizens are...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts