Goal Checkup

I can't believe we're almost at the end of February. When I set our new goals for this year, I thought the wait to March (and getting back in the saddle) would be interminably long. I could say the dark and terrible weather made lack of saddle time more tolerable, but what's helped the most is how well Spicy is doing under the new program.

where cookies??
My horse went from fearful, tight, and anxious to downright dead quiet. Seriously, sometimes I joke that I didn't do ground work I gave him a lobotomy. I've had to start carrying a lunge whip for long lining!! 

after his first chiropractor adjustment
We had one incident with the long lines where he got spooked (in a totally legitimate manner, it wasn't him being a nut). Unfortunately he spun towards me, tangling the lines completely around his legs. He took off so I let go, figuring trying to hang onto the lines at this point would do more harm than good. We don't have a ring where we're at right now, so he ran back to his field all snorty. Not only did he let me catch him, but we continued on like nothing had happened. His ability to come back down after having a fright was non existent before, but now he self regulates like a champ.

the 'neigh'-bors
Recently I've been stepping up the long line work a bit more, including cantering and demanding more from the trot. Last night he started to stretch beautifully over his topline, something he's never done. I also started introducing a bit more saddle time. While I still want to long line him a couple times a week, we're at the point where I can do some walk-trot work under tack. So far, everything I've taught him on the ground seems to be translating.

My favorite part is he's really starting to enjoy our 'play time'. He comes when I call if he's not already waiting at the gate for me. I'm so grateful I can call this horse my partner.







Comments

  1. i'm so glad to read this! he really seems like such a cool horse <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is, and I'm having so much fun with him! I'm glad we've come to an accord.

      BTW - carousel trip in april or may??

      Delete
  2. So glad things are chugging along nicely for you both! What a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long lining is my FAVORITE and I love reading about other people using it too! Spicy is a lucky guy to have a human work to figure him out and give him such a great program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there needs to be some kind of underground longlining club that comes above ground, because I don't know where this was all my life.

      Delete
    2. Wait... but can there be? Tips, tricks, terrors, successes... we can share it all!

      Delete
  4. This transformation is amazing. I'm so glad things are going so much better for you two. Can't wait to see what comes this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think we'll be able to get up to lots of fun adventures

      Delete
  5. glad all is going well in Spice (y) World :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg i do NOT want to change my blog name (again) but holy crap I wish it could be spice world.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that the ground work has addressed the problems you guys first encountered. I bet he's much happier now that he understands what pressure means. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like not understanding pressure is like a language barrier between people. No matter how loud I shout he has no idea I'm just asking him to pass the sugar!

      Delete
  7. You know, I was totally going to do a "why long lining is the best and will benefit any horse" series... but you beat me to it and are wording it way better than I would. Love the progress and the happy tone of your recent posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how much I actually LOOK FORWARD to working with my horse except being nervous and filled with dread about shenanigans.

      You should still write about long lining tho! The app is soooo cute

      Delete
  8. Yay! I'm so glad that everything is working out between you and the Spice Man.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts