The Michael Jung Problem

My favorite rider in the whole world is Ingrid Klimke. I adore her. She's adorably German, grooms for her daughter, talks so lovingly to her horses, and can show jump the snot out of just about anything.


Credit: @Ingrid Klimke

But I have this weird Michael Jung problem.

I follow him on various social medias and I can't stop my hawk-like stalking. I follow Ingrid on Instagram and 'like' her posts but I follow Michael Jung's social media with the voracity of Po learning Kung Fu.



Oh he went out to dinner? What is he eating? Is that Ramen? Is he out with his friends? He's drinking wine, how much does he have before he competes the next day? Does the man even get hangovers??

Credit: @MichaelJungOfficialNews

He's playing quarters. He's even good at quarters.

Heaven help us if he posts himself on a horse. He never tags his equipment details!!! I want to know everything down to what kind of thrushbuster he uses. He posted a picture of one of his amazing show jumpers with an Uncle Jimmy's Hangin' Ball. I need one of those!! That's the secret! QUICK, INDY, EAT THE BALL.

Credit: @MichaelJungOfficialNews


I think my insane curiosity is linked to his certain... Terminator-ness. Ten years ago if you had asked me to name big eventing riders he wouldn't have been so much as a twinkle in my eye. Now he's the last word in everything. Casually winning the Grand Slam of eventing. Casually being European Champion. Casually winning Olympic gold. How did he do it? He's so kind and sweetly German. When they interview him post ride he says "The horse gave me a very good feeling."


(So like, I need everything on the truck, right?)

What does that mean?? How do you go out and consistently kill it with every single horse every time you go out? He's so modest and nonchalant about it. I see the focus in his face in every phase and I'm looking at my phone at his alarmingly normal Instagram and asking myself...

How on earth does he do this?!

So yes, Ingrid Klimke is my favorite rider. But Michael Jung is the world #1 enigma. Maybe one day I can follow him around and see what makes him tick. For now, however, I'll have to voyeur from afar.

Comments

  1. I am the exact same way. I probably shouldn’t admit the number of articles I’ve struggled through in German to learn more about his training methods. One of my favorite tips was he doesn’t start jumping them until they are fully adjustable at the walk trot and canter. My conclusion is he has amazing natural feel and work ethic out the wazoo. Regardless I’m totally obsessed with the tiny German man 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah thats totally how I start horses jumping too. and has nothing to do with a) me being chicken or b) fighting through like 18 injuries first.

      hm maybe I should learn German...

      Delete
  2. I stalk him on social media too, and I don't DO stuff like that. I literally do not give a shit about "famous" people, be they riders or not. I don't think I even follow any other top riders or celebrities. But him... yeah total stalker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these comments are making me feel a lot better. we need a perez hilton for german eventing.

      Delete
  3. I was going to say you and T need to start a club but she's already been here and commented. Of course. The title of the post probably set an alarm off on her phone 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear- I've never heard of him. Now I need to google.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness totally the same way, and you're totally not alone. I specifically don't follow big names - be they equestrians or celebrities or what have you - but I HAVE to follow Michael. I have to. It's gotten worse. I just accept it. But holy crap is he an amazing rider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SUCH a timely post- just yesterday I was stalking him via IG/FB/Google/YouTube (slow day at work). He's literally the only "big name" rider I follow on social media. And I went all fan girl over being less than 10 feet from him at Rolex, it was ridiculous. My mom was all, "calm down or don't stand near me." But I couldn't help it...he's MICHAEL JUNG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, and he even showed up at Harrisburg to ride in the hunt team class... He does EVERYTHING! And well. Even Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *raises hand* I too am a stalker. Got a picture with him at Rolex two years ago which is NOT something I normally do. Luckily caught him at the Lorenzini booth before anyone even knew he was there so didn't have to stand in line. I was completely tongue tied and he was a sweetie. And 6" shorter than I am. O_O

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments so much, it makes me want to give you a BIG hug.

Popular Posts